Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, October 7, 2010

And Coffee Saved The Day!!!

I was watching the History Channel the other day, and they had a documentary on about coffee. Among the many things I learned about the history of my favorite beverage, one stood out to me. I don't really know how true it is, but at least it made sense. The show said that coffee was brought into Europe in the late 1600's, and that previous to it's introduction beer and wine were the only two beverages available for consumption. Water, contained too many diseases, and milk was probably not far behind. The show claimed that Europeans were constantly in a drunken stupor from morning until night. The show claimed that the introduction of coffee relieved this symptom, and "lifted the fog" over people's minds, allowing them to think more clearly than they had for at least a few hundred years. The caffeine stimulated their minds, opened the door to new thought, and paved the way for the Renaissance!
I don't know how true that claim is, or what information the argument is based on, but like I said, it makes sense doesn't it? Imagine trying to go to school and learn after having a couple glasses of wine for breakfast...that is, if you could even stay awake. It sounds horrible! And can you imagine having to go to work, or do anything besides dance to 80's music in the livingroom after drinking beer all day? Ugggg....I don't think so.
Just when I thought it couldn't be any more awesome, I find out that my morning cup of Joe may have been the fuel behind the Renaissance! Groovy....

No comments:

Post a Comment