Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sweet Potato or Imposter?

I have trying to get back into my root experiment, and just yesterday I decided to tackle the sweet potato...only I am not sure that I didn't end up buying yams instead. The label at the grocery store said "sweet potato" but there were yams close by, and when I got home and cut them open they were more yellow and less orange than I had anticipated. I still don't know what they were. Anyway, I guess we will just assume they were sweet potatoes unless I figure out differently.
I found a (simple) recipe on line for making sweet potato fries. I thought that was a good a way as any to give a food I hated as a kid another try. So I washed and cut the potato, then tossed it into a ziplock bag with olive oil, salt, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder and a pinch of cayanne, and baked them at  425 for about a half hour.
I followed the recipe, but if I had to do it over I would change several things. First of all, I would only brush the fries with oil, and then sprinkle the spice mixture over top. They were super greasy, and the oil smoked in the oven and I had to pat all the fries dry after I cooked them. I left them in a little too long in hopes that they would get crispy (they were really limp) but they burned before that ever happened. I guess the only way to really get crispy fries is to deep fry them..sigh...
Anyway, whatever root they were they made OK fries. The taste was good (but a little oily), and if they hadn't been in the shape of a french fry that looked like it should be eaten with fingers, their lack of crunchiness wouldn't have been a factor at all (Like maybe if I had cut them into rounds, like potatoes au gratin. In fact if I ever cook them again, that is what I'll do.). Prep time was almost nothing, and I thought it paired really well with the sole sandwich and cilantro lime mayo I had for dinner.
Over all I give the sweet potato...or yam...2.5 out of 5 stars. It was easy to cook. It didn't taste as bad as I remember, but I don't think it will be a flavor I crave. The mixture of brown sugar and cumin was interesting and worked really well with the sweetness of the root, but at the end of the day I'd much rather have a baked potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment