Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, March 29, 2010

A Cry For Green and Gold!

I just saw the "new" Packers uniforms that the team will wear for one or two games next season. In general I kind of like the retro look they have (say if the design was going to be used for a new expansion team), but I have to say I don't like them at all for the Pack.
The green and gold is a symbol of the team that the fans love. Looking for the bright yellow helmet of a Packer at the Pro-Bowl is almost second nature and I can spot a Packer fan a mile away in any crowd because my eyes are naturally drawn to anything green and yellow. The colors of the Pack may be likened to a cross for Christians. You see someone wearing them, and you know you have a friend, an ally.
And while new blue and beige jerseys might be consistent with the history of the team, it is not something the current fans can identify with. Except for all 3 of Packer backers that were around in the 1920's and 30's....no one is going to feel the connection. And it will be weird for the players too. I am sure they did it for money (so everyone will go out and buy a throwback jersey) but I don't think it was a good call. My Packers have always worn green and gold, ever since I was a kid. And that's how I like it. How can you bleed green and gold when your team is wearing blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment