Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bee's and Things

As the summer has finally made it's debut, so have the insects. I noticed bee's hovering ominously over my patio two weeks ago, and haven't swept since then. My plants are paying the largest price since I've been too afraid to go out an water them. I contacted the property management company, and after a considerable rigamorole (How go you spell that??? rigor marol...rigger ma- never mind? ) The pest guy finally showed up, just moments ago. I showed him the spot which hardly needed pointing out since it was the only place on the patio that heinously creepy insects were flying in and out of.
He immediately informed me they were not bees but yellow jackets. How he was able to discern that from a distance I guess I'll never know. It probably has something to do with the fact that he's been exterminating for more than twenty years. He informed me that honey bee's aren't so bad. They go about their business and don't get in the way, or sting, as long as their hive is left alone.
I lost him at the word "hive" which made me shudder and wish eternal damnation on anything black and yellow with wings.
But anyway, my particular infestation is not of the charming and non-hostile honey bee sort. They are yellow jackets, and according to him, are of an entirely different breed. They are the the criminals of the stinging insect world, posing as innocent pollen munching bee's, but in reality they are an aggressive, confrontational variety of wasps. Eeesh! Freaks me out even to type that.
The pest guy needs to wait until it got dark to...spray them, or slice them to pieces with a samurai sword or how ever it is that exterminators get rid of unwanted creatures. (I prefer the latter, but will settle for anything that makes them go away.) So hopefully I will have my patio back by tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment