Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 5: Packers vs Falcons

I was a little worried at how this game would go because of how badly we beat them last year. Not that I doubted how the Pack would play, but I was more concerned with how vengeful the Falcons would be. Luckily the players aren't as easy to rile up as the fans are, and so despite Atlanta's "12th man" (i.e. the crowd) we did great. Like I said before (I think) I LOVE the no huddle that our offense is using to get things going. There were times last year when the offense was able to get the tempo up, and Rodgers was able to knock out some great passes, and I think that was when they played best. It might be too early to speculate, but I definitely see Rodgers heading the route of Peyton Manning in terms of presiding over no huddle offensive play calling. I think he'll be good at it, and I think McCarthy needs to give up the control let him have it. I just hope Rodgers doesn't get to cocky. Not that he hasn't earned the right, and not that it necessarily ruins his ability (look at "Primetime" Dion Sanders) but just because I would imagine that if I knew him I would like him less. He said in an interview that Clay Matthews is from SoCal and acts like it and he (Rodgers) is from NorCal and acts like it. I like the NorCal Rodgers and hopes he stays that way.
The first quarter was fantastic. The offense was off the hook! Clifton going out with a hamstring injury made my heart skip a little, especially with Bulaga (whom I can't help but pronounce Beluga every time I say it...grrrr...so annoying!) out as well, but the swicharoo of the front line was...well, pretty amazing. Not only did they play well, but they played better than half the starting offensive lines of other teams (Just ask Jay Cutler and Michael Vick)  The rookie Sherrod and Newhouse played great. They might have even earned starting status. Round of applause for them! Over the course of the game Rodgers hit....I can't remember now, but a bunch of receivers. Jennings had that outstanding TD, and for once his "Be great." motto that he is always talking about and putting on t-shirts didn't annoy me. I also think James Jones is playing much better than he did last year, and that makes me happy. I think my previous posts about him are still true, but I am willing to change my mind if he turns a corner and stops dropping important passes.
The defense did well, especially considering the changes. I still miss Cullen Jenkens (I'll probably be saying that for the rest of the season) and Nick Collins, but the other guys have stepped in and done a fine job. I feel like it the defense played a little different, and maybe Tramon Williams wasn't as dynamic as usual, but he was coming off an injury and the rest of the D was adjusting. OK.....going to sigh off on this one again, because I have one more before I catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment