Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Haiku

I find that as I get older, I don't surprise myself as much as I used to. When I was younger, I was always coming upon some new thing or activity that I didn't know about before, and it was often surprising what things I actually enjoyed versus the things I didn't. I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all now, I mean who would have thought I would actually love kickboxing so much right? All I'm trying to say is that it happened much less frequently now. I feel like I've tried most things out, encountered most everything. Of course that isn't true technically, since there are millions of things to do and see, but in my little corner of the world and based on the other restrictions in my life (like having a job, and financial responsibilities), I feel I've sort of exhausted the novelty of everything. But then last week something strange happened.
I have been trying to go to bed earlier and get up earlier because I find that I am more productive in the morning than I am at night. Anyway it's been a challenge, but I think I'm finally getting there. And for some reason (I guess the reason being that I am not jumping out of bed at the last minute, and racing off to work) I have begun to notice things about the morning that I'm not sure I ever have outside of camping. And...(this is the weird part) I have begun composing haiku in the hazy time between dreaming and when my consciousness is first stirred. This is not on purpose. Meaning that I'm not trying to compose poetry (I don't even know how, nor do I read it!) But last Monday I had written my first haiku since second grade, and all before I was fully awake! To be honest, I might have still been dreaming. Isn't that the strangest thing though? I've gone 33 years without any real interest in poetry, and suddenly I'm writing it, and really enjoying it! Who would have thought? I've done two others since then it the same sleepy way. I think of them best before I am too awake. Once I'm up with a cup of coffee in my hand it's hopeless.
I don't know if they are any good (probably not), nor will I post them here (I have always had a fear about writing poetry and having others read it for some odd reason), but I just wanted to comment on how utterly surprised I am by this new facet of my life. Early mornings and Haiku...will wonders never cease?

No comments:

Post a Comment