Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Trading T.V. for Bird Song

Sunrise, Mono Lake, 2009

I am in love with the morning.

I find myself laying in the dark and smiling when I know I've woken up before the birds have begun their day. I lay there and anticipate the first song that will shatter the nighttime silence. I wonder will it be the crow with it's raspy caw? Or the brisk "cheep cheep" of the little brown bird that I conveniently named Cheep Cheep? Or a more melodic tune by one of the hundred other birds that nest in the trees around my house?

Since I am in no rush to dash away to work, I have time to lay in bed and think about what I'd like to do. Usually I put the coffee on and crawl back into bed and just enjoy being awake but not having to get up. It feels extra luxurious on the weekdays. But sometimes if it's foggy out, or the sky is pretty colors I'll stand at the kitchen window and watch the transition from night to day while the coffee brews. Other days I will curl up with a blanket on my "reading island" (i.e. my overstuffed chair and ottoman) by the fireplace and read a chapter of something while enjoying my coffee. And yet on other days I am up making lists and organizing my day, folding laundry, or trying to (quietly) wash dishes. There are so many wonderful options!
Often times the weather helps me decide. Rain is definitely reading island weather, fog lends itself to quiet contemplation while staring out the window and sipping coffee, sunshine can go a couple ways, either laying in bed listening to birds (the lazy way), or getting a jump start on the day (the less lazy way).

Some people wouldn't be willing to trade their evenings for early mornings, and I'll admit is a pain in the butt to adjust the ol' "internal clock". But for me there's no contest. Absolutely none. At night I mostly watch TV, or some other equally unproductive task as I wind down to bedtime. But my mornings are filled with relaxation, quiet thought, and energetic anticipation. And all before work!

I've never been a sunrise kind of girl, but I am now. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment