Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, January 24, 2011

Titletown Takes It Away

Cutler Sandwich
So....We are going to the Super Bowl! I say "we" because while I haven't done anything (but prepare great football snacks and a lot of commentary) I have stuck with the Pack throughout the season and many before. That's the privilege of being a fan.
I must be honest and reveal that when we won yesterday I wasn't jumping up and down in the way I imagined I would. I was a little disappointed with the offense. But after having an entire evening and day to contemplate the game, I have calmed down and if I'd posted a blog yesterday, I'd probably recant half of what I would have written.
So....It was a good game. Rodgers to Jennings was outstanding! He got 20 yards or so per catch! Starks came through as he has in the last two games. Brandon Jackson (I am still a huge Jackson fan because he stepped up and gave the Pack everything he had this season) had a really nice 10 yard run. Driver and Nelson came through as well!
I was not too excited when Clifton went out with a stinger (which BTW is a stretching or compression of the nerves that exit the spinal column at the neck), but T.J Lang filled in like a champ. He wasn't as good as Clifton but I am sure he didn't get nearly as many reps in practice, so to expect him to perform at the same level is...unreasonable.
Raji, the self appointed "Freezer" had a great pick 6. BUT....as it was happening all I was thinking was "BALL SECURITY!!!! WTF? I get that it was his first touchdown. But it was totally unprofessional. He nearly lost it. If that Bears player had reached him just a split second earlier, B.J. Raji would have had a lot of explaining to do, and we might have lost the game. I understand that guys get excited. But this is the NFL and they are expected to keep their head. I am glad #90 got the interception, but at the same time I hope he watches the film and learns his lesson.
Except for that missed tackle by Collins and Woodson (where the Bears scored), the defense really played well, as the have almost the whole season. And I understand that it was just one of those random mis-communications, but still, I was pretty surprised. But moving onto the positives, lets shine a happy spotlight on Sam Shields. What a freaking game for him hu? The reason the Pack is going to the Super Bowl with 14 players on injured reserve is because of guys like Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, and James Starks. It's crazy and amazing that a free agent has clinched the Super Bowl for Green Bay, but that's kind of been part of the story this year. You could even argue it been THE story.
I watched all of the post game commentary, all the "key" players spoke, and of course the sports casters gave their opinion and more.
And I would be OK with that except for the fact that no one interviewed or spoke of the MVP of the game. I went through the videos at NFL.com, I methodically went through all the interviews at packers.com but there was nothing to be found.
Who is the MVP or at least should be recognized for a perfect performance? In my (humble) opinion it's Tim Mathsay. WHO? you might ask? And that's normal I guess. People tend to not even notice special teams unless they score a touchdown, but that's unfair. SoI thought I'd clue you in as to why I beleieve he had such a huge impact. He is the guy that in below freezing conditions (where kicking a football is like kicking a brick) 1.) gave the Bears terrible field position the whole game 2.) didn't kick it straight to Devon Hester, who by the way is ridiculous. 3.) gave the Packers defense a big field with lots of room to do what they do best. Sure punting is not flashy. It's not a touchdown or a take away. There is no one screaming or jumping up and down. But if you consider the poor performance by the offense in the second half, the quarterback change up for Chicago, and the amount of field the defense had to work their magic...I'll put my neck out there and say that this game was truly won because ALL three phases of the game happened for Green Bay. It's hard to quantify what didn't happen, but  at the same time it's important to acknowledge the fact it didn't. Hester didn't get that big punt return for a TD. They didn't get good field advantage. The Bears had to start at the 4 or 5 yard line, and against the Green Bay defense that is a long way to have to go to score. To keep Hester,the NFL leader in punt returns, to nothing, in a championship game no less, is a big deal. And Mathsay came through.Nice work man.
Anyway, we made it! The Green Bay Packers are officially going to the Super Bowl. We won the NFC Championship. We beat the Bears at Soldier Field. And you want to know something? It feels good. I have this sneaking suspicion that we are going to go all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment