Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, August 16, 2010

Geology: My Way


This is a self portrait I took a while back to document my take on being a geologist. Being in a field traditionally occupied by men, I often find it funny that I get the feeling that I should act more "manly" even though that has nothing to do with how well I perform my job. It's expected that I be tough, and capable of handling myself on a construction site (and I am). But when I paint my nails, or wear my Tiffany's jewlery people don't know quite what to do with me. This was my attempt to preserve for posterity my personal view of myself as a geologist: certainly not afraid to get dirty, but not afraid to wear a dress to work either:)
This was taken at our lab where I was pounding out soil samples to get a compaction curve for a job I was working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment