Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, August 16, 2010

An Excuse

I have been seriously slacking on my postings! But I have a pretty good excuse...I think anyway. I have been in the field for the last two weeks...and am on my way to my third. While it's true my job site happens to be in Napa Valley the fact that I am on my third week out is...tiring. I get up at 5:30 to make sure I have all my stuff together, all my gear charged, all my appropriate clothing, sunscreen etc. I get out to the site, and spend from seven to four "inspecting" a landslide repair. In the morning it's great. It's foggy and cool. Sometimes it get's misty. There is no one at the winery except for the people who work there. When the excavator and dozer are getting greased up for the day it so peaceful. I've seen a flock (?) of wild turkeys, jack rabbits, phesants, even a white heron (to which some tourist later screamed with camera in hand "Look! It's a wild herring! It's a wild herring!") It's better for photos when the sun comes out (as it always does around noon), but to work in, and for personal....enjoyment, I will always love Napa most in the early morning I think.
And I have even been privelaged enough to have all my meals paid for by my work. I went out to a different restaurant every night last week! My best night was at this awesome Tapas place when mom came up. My second best was a spinach salad I got that I will write about later. But you want to know something? I imagine most people wouldn't know this (I didn't until I lived through it). Eating out 3 meals a day for a couple weeks makes you sick. As impossible as it may sound, I am so tired of eating out, I don't even know what to do. And it's not like I am paying for it, but it's just too much. I am litteraly free to eat wherever I want in Napa, and I can't imagine anouther mouthfull...at least until Wednesday:)
Anyway, getting back to my original point, I have been pretty occupied. Not a lot of down time, and even when I have it, I am a little worried about what will happen tomorrow, so I haven't had much chance to ponder anything useful or interesting. I've been reading a bit, but when I get to the hotel at night all I feel like doing is eating, taking a shower and going to bed. And thats on a good night when I don't have to anticipate a huge arguement with the contractor like I am going to have tomorrow...*sigh* it's always contractors vs. engineers, and I am always in the middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment