Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, May 9, 2011

My New Favorite Thing: Book Darts

I accidentally discovered some awesome place markers (for those of us who still read actual paper books) stuck in a book at work, and after a little hunting online, I found out what they were called and where to buy them. They are called Book Darts, and I love them! I used to write in all the books I read, underlining quotes, or sections I thought were important. And while that's fine since the books are mine, I always felt bad about writing all over them. I felt like I was defacing them, and it also occurred to me that if I were to want to pass them on to someone else, it might be hard to read with all my highlighting etc.  I could use paper to mark the passages, but it's hard to find the spot on a page that's just book marked, and post it notes...well, I could easily go through a whole pad worth on one book, and it was such a waste of paper. I had sticky tabs (that I would try to reuse a couple times) but then they are always hanging out all over the place, and it made it hard to put them on a shelf and it was just annoying. But what to do?
Then I discovered book darts! They are tiny metal clips that slide perfectly on the edge of a sheet of paper. They don't fall off, they are flat, and they point to whatever line you are trying to mark.
And not only do they look totally cool looking, and very retro, they actually work great, stay out of my way, and are re-usable (so I can mark places in a book, then after I write a blog on it I can remove them and the book is like new!) Isn't that awesome? I use them for casual reading but they'd be great to use in textbooks for studying, (and you can remove them after you are done with the class). You can use just one to  save your spot (like a regular book mark), or if you often re-read books but want to only hit upon the important points these are great, or if you know of someone who is a real book worm, these would make a great gift!
Besides that the company that makes them seems pretty awesome. I got them in about three days, and when they sent me all the same color by accident (you can get copper, stainless, or brass, or a mixture) they sent me 50 more at no extra charge or shipping. They are a little pricey  at 125 darts for $13 or so, but when you consider you can re-use them, and you can get them in numbers as small as 12 darts for $2.50 depending on your needs, I really think they have something that would work for anyone or budget.
Anyway, I think they are awesome, and wanted to pass along my discovery in case any of you would be interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment