Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, January 5, 2012

You Go Matt Flynn, You Go

I know I know, I've been a horrible blogger as of late. Like I've said a few times now, I ve been busy. And like with just about everything, once you get out of the habit and mindset, it's tough to get the ball rolling again. But I'm going to try.
Anyway, after skipping almost the entire football season I thought I should at least comment on the last game of the season. We missed the first couple plays of the game, so I was surprised to see the Lions up by seven and Matt Flynn in as QB early in the first quarter.
I guess it was Mccarthys call to keep Rodgers out, and as it turns out it was a great call. Why? Because the Packers are fortunate enough to have a backup quarterback who happens to be better than most starting quarterbacks in the league!
Matt Flynn had an incredible game! He's been the topic of much conversation this week on the sports networks, and they keep saying how surprised they are that he played so well. That caught me off guard for a moment, but then I remembered that not all folks are as familiar with the Packers as I am. Flynns performance doesn't surprise me at all. Here is why. First of all, remember his first starting game? It was last year against the Patriots when AR had a concussion. It was a great game. Almost as good as this one, and I only say almost because we ended up loosing that one at the very last second, due to what I think was a coaching error. Anyway, after that amazing start, who wouldn't think he would perform awesomely last Sunday?
Besides he trains daily with the same as AR and has acces to the same coaching and coaches, and is held to the same standards, so again, why would we expect anything less than really awesome?
But my reason for writing this blog is not to convince the world that Matt Flynn is a first class quarterback. My reason for writing is to express how happy for him I am. I think it has to be rough being a back up, and I would imagine it can be frustrating as well, to spend years of a somewhat limited (unless your Favre) career on the sidelines. It doesnt matter that almost everyone has to do it, it still sucks. So for Flynn to take his second starting opportunity to break the two biggest quarterback records in franchise history, well....I think it's freaking AWESOME!!! And he totally deserves it. I'm not saying anything against Rodgers, I'm just saying that Flynn in finally going to get the recognition for his accomplishments that he should have gotten all along. Its unfortunate that no one pays attention to the backups, even though they work just as hard as the starters. But not for Flynn, not anymore. Good for him!
Unfortunately he will be a free agent next year, and as such will probably leave Green Bay in search of a starting position. It bums me out, but at the same it dim happy for him...as long as he doesn't go to the Bears. Some are saying he could go to the Jets I'd Sanches gets the boot, but my secret dream is that Indianapolis would use their first round pick to draft a QB to trade and then pick up Flynn. That's probably a long shot especially if Payton Manning comes back, but I can always hope.
I was going to end, but I couldn't in good conscious without pointing out what an amazing season Matthew Stafford has had with the Lions, the whole team actually. They made it to the playoffs for the first time in like 20 years despite being the most penalized team in the NFL. Stafford survived the whole season without injury, Calvin Johnson had an a record breaking season, and the defense ( although somewhat unruly) has been very good as well. Stafford broke e same franchise records as Flynn did, including most passing yards, and most TD's.
And the game itself broke the NFL record for yards in a game with over a thousand. The regular season is over, but what a way to ring in the new year!
Now it's playoff time! GO PACK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment