Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Outta This World! Lamp Shade

I made my brother a home made lamp shade for Christmas out of old slides he found with cool space stuff on them. It took me a while to think of how to do it, and I'm sure I could have come up with something simpler, but to be honest, I didn't think my design would be that hard to create. As it turns out it was much more difficult than I thought, and way more time consuming. That last part was the worst on account of my inability to acquire and maintain even a shred of patience. I basically had to drill holes in all the slides, then link them together each silver loop at a time (think opening and closing each one with pliers), then find a lamp shade frame (which I couldn't so I had to buy a shade, cut the shade part off and make my own out of material), and well, it's not as easy as it looks. Trust me. BUT it did turn out OK and he loved it! In retrospect it was worth it since by bro liked it so much but that being said this will probably be my one and only slide-lamp shade.

2 comments:

  1. i love when something that doesn't get much attention gets put to a new use in a creative way. Can I send you some slides? (kidding...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, sure...as long as you can wait five years till I get it done...

    ReplyDelete