Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, April 8, 2013

Coldfoot Alaska: Arctic Gear

While I was visiting Coldfoot, I met lots of interesting people. There was a family from Mexico, a father and son from Texas, a guy from England, two women from Colombia, a couple from Spain. One of the major issues most of them had was with what to bring in terms of clothing. Many of them bought boots and things specifically for the trip, and none of it was warm enough. So I thought I'd post a few comments on what really works to keep you warm and what doesn't, as well as a few tips I gathered from inside sources (i.e folks who live and work up there).
I know that many people will just bring what they have and make due, and that's fine, but if you are going to go out and buy stuff, it might be helpful to know what you should be looking for. Also I guess I should mention this is all about gear for the extreme cold. This isn't for 40 degree days in the spring time or the middle of the summer.
Arctic Boots by Northern Outfitters
OK. So first off is foot wear. This held the most disappointment for the people I spoke to. Many of them had gone out and purchased boots costing anywhere from $70 to $120 and none of them worked. In extremely cold weather what you need is a boot that has no rubber on the body of the boot, is at least a half size (if not a whole size) larger than your foot, and has a very thick padded sole.
The boots my brother has are made by Northern Outfitters, and cost $120. They are called "Mountain Pack Arctic Boots". These are the best boots I've ever worn in cold weather. They are huge and make your feet look three times the normal size, but the work. They had about 4" of insulation between the bottom of my foot and the ground and they were really comfortable.
If you aren't interested in spending that kind of money then I'd suggest getting a pair of ski boots a size or so larger, and doubling or tripling your socks. Try to get something waterproof, but do not get rubber rain boots with a liner. Your feet will freeze.
Most of us aren't going to go out and spend $500 for a coat rated to -50 degrees. But besides that my recommendation would be your warmest coat that is windproof. The windproof part is critical. At extremely cold temperatures the wind cuts through canvas and other materials like a knife. Also if you have a coat with an attached parka hood, and deep pockets that's all the better.
About half the people I saw didn't have snow pants. I didn't the first time I went, and it was miserable. One night we went out to watch the Aurora, and I had on a warm coat and jeans. My jeans did nothing to keep me warm, even with long johns on underneath. I felt like I was half naked. My legs actually hurt they were so cold. It was only about -2 at the time, so I can't imagine what it would feel like at -20. I also went for a hike without snow pants, and  I got snow under my jeans, and had nerve damage on the outside of my ankles for about a year. No joke. Even if you get cheap snow pants (try looking at a thrift store if you only want them for the trip) it is 100 times better than no snow pants. The elastic on the bottom covers your boots, and helps keep snow out. This year I brought a good pair, and it made a world of difference. Also, while we are on the subject of pants, here is a tip for what to wear under snow pants. Avoid jeans. They just don't work. Instead go for a pair of long johns, a comfortable pair of yoga pants or sweats. If it's really cold do both.  I brought two pairs of jeans and one pair of sweats and I wore the sweats almost every day, because they were much more comfortable and warm.
Fleece neck gaiter by Carharrt
The next thing is layering. I brought turtle necks, t-shirts, a vest,  a sweatshirt, and a big turtleneck sweater. The sweater didn't work when I wore it by itself. It made me really sweaty, and then when I'd move a certain way I got a surprisingly chilly breeze up my back. I constantly felt too hot or too cold. Layering is the way to go. I did a combination of turtleneck, t-shirt, then vest/sweater on top of that, and then my coat. This was the perfect arrangement for me, and it kept me warm, but not too hot. Having a couple layers close to your skin, and then adding a couple looser ones on top helps regulate body temperature. And when it got warmer (or I did) I was able to adjust the layers to make myself more comfortable. Lots of folks up there wear plaid shirts as a top layer, or a light fleece sweatshirt.
In terms of hand wear I suggest mittens over gloves (or maybe a combination of thin gloves under mittens). Gloves separate fingers and make them colder in my experience. Mittens keep my fingers warmer, and I can ball up my fists when I am really cold to protect them. And of course the usual hat/scarf. In the arctic the hats with the ear flaps would probably work best. I had a regular knit hat, and my ears still got cold somehow. I wish I'd brought a fleece headband to wear underneath. An alternative to the traditional scarf is the fleece neck gaiter. This keeps your neck and your face warm and is ideal for dog sledding. My brother actually made sure I bought one before we left Fairbanks, and it was a good call. I wore it almost every day.
Well, that's all I can think of. Good luck and hope this helps if you ever plan a trip to the Arctic in winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment