Ammonite

Ammonite

Friday, April 5, 2013

Lingonberry Juice



A fresh taste of the Arctic.

While I was up in Alaska, I had the opportunity to meet some of the folks living out in Wiseman. Wiseman is located about 15 north of Coldfoot Camp.
While visiting I was offered a cup of homemade lingonberry juice. I had no idea what a lingonberry was but they were hand picked in the surrounding countryside, so I couldn't turn down such an opportunity! I said "Sure!"

Lingonberries are like cranberries except they are smaller and grow closer to the ground. They are the same pretty color though. They are common in boreal forests and the Arctic tundra. They are popular in many Scandinavian dishes and recipes.
Jack, the guy who we were visiting, said they also make a delicious bread. He hand picked and reduced the berries in water to make the juice all himself.
It was served in a coffee mug, with a spoon. It was very similar to cranberry juice, except with much less sugar than the commercial stuff. But the best part was the pile of berries at the bottom. For those I used the spoon. They were so tender and tart and yummy! 
What a neat opportunity hu?


No comments:

Post a Comment