Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, April 5, 2010

Clash of the Storyline

I went to see Clash of the Titans yesterday, and had I been by myself I would have walked out. It was TERRIBLE!
I hardly even know where to begin! The writers (or whomever) took one of the great classic stories from Greek mythology and made almost unrecognizable (and much worse than the original)! It is truly a shame. What's even worse is that millions of Americans will think they know the story of Perseus, and have no clue that the garbage they watched was almost completely false. Here are just a few of errors:
1. There were in fact no Titans in the movie. How ridiculous is that? The Titans were the parents and aunts and uncles of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, and they were definitely not in there.
2. In the movie Zeus actually liked people...Ummm...since when? Zeus if you recall, only tolerated humans. He seduced women incessantly (afterward turning them into animals, or worse allowing them to be murdered by their husbands for their transgression), and even condemned the Titan Prometheus to having his liver eaten out every day forever because he (Prometheus) felt bad that man was upon the earth and freezing and stole fire from Zeus to warm them. Zeus was a bastard, and nowhere in Greek mythology was he a champion of man.
3. Since when does Perseus marry Io (who by the way as the original story goes was seduced by Zeus, turned into a cow and given to his wife Hera), and not Andromeda? The answer is never. Even in the constellations Perseus, and Andromeda are together. What is the deal with messing up that fundamental part of the story?
4. Zeus didn't give Perseus the sword, Hermes did. And Perseus never got his helmet of invisibility or his winged sandals that were a part of the original story.
5. I am pretty sure I would remember giant the scorpions in the original story had there been any. I do recall reading that the blood dripping from Medusa's severed head produced serpents in the desert, but I hardly see how that could be interpreted as giant man eating scorpions that occurred before they even encountered Medusa.
6. The creatures with the blue eyes...WTF? I don't even know where to begin with that one.I have no idea what they were supposed to be or why they were added. They reminded me of something I'd seen in Army of Darkness.
7. Why was pegasus black? And why wasn't he born from Medusa's severed head like he was supposed to be?
OK, I really don't have the time to rant any longer, but really if you have any interest in mythology do NOT go and see this movie. It was a colossal failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment