Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Un-believable!

There is a frightening new trend on the rise among the more insane families littering the US. I read yesterday on line about parents who have decided to "unschool" their kids. Unschooling means the parents don't make their kids go to school, nor do they require learning, or anything else from their children. The kids are simply free to do whatever they want, and the idea is that they will figure everything out on their own. If for example they decide they want to be a doctor then they will go to school of their own free will and make it happen. But if they decide they want to be a stay-at-home couch potato that's fine too.
WTF? Are these parents serious? I understand teaching kids to make their own choices, but there is an age where that is appropriate. If a child cannot understand/bear the consequences of the choices they are given, then I don't think they should be making them. A five year old brain is not developed enough to make decisions that will affect the rest of their lives. You wouldn't give a kindergartner charge of the family finances, so why would you let them decide they don't want to go to school? I think these parents are irresponsible, and should be penalized for experimenting with their children's lives in this way.
If these parents think this is such a great idea why don't they start their unschooling right from the start? Let their two year old decide for themselves they want to be potty trained, and see how much fun they have with that.
I don't know. Maybe I am wrong, but what is the upside of something like this? What is the advantage? Maybe the kids have more fun (who wouldn't with unlimited freedom and no responsibility) but does that help them become productive healthy members of society? I don't see it. What do you think? Check out the video interview (I can't find the associated article I read sorry).

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree, this is a terrible idea. I don't know about punishing the parents though; this really branches into a tricky aspect of law from my perspective. How does the state balance the rights of the child against the need to have parents take responsibility for their kids. Suppose I am a rockstar, but I want to have kids. Is it child abuse to raise my kids on the road, surrounded by groupie's and potheads? It certainly is an alternative lifestyle, maybe not the best of upbringings, but does that make it abuse?

    What's the URL to the article you read? Maybe you could update your post with an embedded link ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the idea behind this but I agree that the approach these parents are using is very poorly thought out. There is a better alternative out there for it though, they are called Montessori schools. I don't know if you have heard much about them but basically it is a school that lets the kids guide their education, while still making sure they are getting the basic educational requirement. So they still teach math and science and all that, but if the child shows more interest in once specific area, like botany or something, the teacher will try and incorporate more of that into that specific child's lessons. It is a very hands on and specified schooling style. One of my friends in college worked at one part time and thought it was amazing. As far as I know though they only go up to 5th or 6th grade, past that they go to regular school. I think if I am able I would send my kids to a school like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And people who love to see their kids learning and being happy doing it can make homeschooling much like Montessori school. Look at cousin Ruth Manion's son Josh. They mostly read books about anything he was interested in for school. He has been a national level chess champion and is now a wealthy business owner who has a great career and a happy family. It worked for him.

    ReplyDelete