Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Carolinapectin jamieae


I was just reminded of the fact that years ago as an undergraduate I used to go fossil shell hunting in the quarries out in Loxahatchee Florida. I even found a holotype, (the first specimen of a new species ever discovered) once! Of course I had no idea that it was a new species, it took my professor to discover the fact. And obviously I gave it to him because it was his research that allowed me to go there collecting in the first place. He told me he would name it after me, and said that I could look it up in his next book when it was done. Only I moved away and never actually looked for it. Anyway I just did an internet search. His book is too expensive to buy it turns out (125.00!), but as luck would have it the part about my shell was one of the pages you could preview on Amazon! Woo Hoo! Unfortunately I was unable to see the page that had a photograph of the shell though. It basically looks like a big grey scallop shell. Anyway, here is the page documenting my small contribution to paleontology/paleomalacology!



As sort of a side note, it's interesting how perspectives change with age. When I lived in Florida and was going to school, and fossil hunting in the quarry, and scuba diving with my professors I assumed that my whole life would be like that, like it was just the beginning of the adventure. But from where I am now, it appears that WAS the adventure. And probably the happiest time in my life. But...well, we all have to live with the choices we make. And you can never really go back. LOL. Not to sound too negative. Besides who knows? Maybe there is still an adventure out there with my name on it, just waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment