Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Coldfoot Alaska: The Dogs (Part 2)




So next on the list is...
Junior: Despite her name she is a girl. And a big beefy one at that. She's very...well, I hate to say fat, but maybe solid is a better word, and very strong. She looks a lot like Lucky, and Toby but she's a little rounder than both. She is one of the lead dogs, but maybe one of the more enthusiastic leads. She seems to have a lot of energy, but saves it for when she is pulling the sled. She won't knock you over normally, but if you get down on your knees all bets are off and she will jump on you to say hello.

Winchester: Now here is a name fitting of it's owner! Winchester is a beast! He is so strong, probably the strongest of all the dogs and big too. He's not stocky or round, but lean and all muscle. His back legs are ridiculously muscular, and when you watch him run behind a sled he actually pivots his body so he is always pulling harder than the other dogs. And when you stop to give the other dogs a break Winchester is always the first one lunging at the line to get going again. At the dog lot he will jump on you and tackle you if you are not paying attention to him and within range. He took down a little Japanese gal named Sumi when I was there. But he's not mean or dangerous. After he gets you on the ground he will lick you, or point his behind in your direction so you will scratch it. He's a goof ball, full of energy and very strong. He's like a gigantic black puppy with playful brown eyes. He's a power dog and is at the back of the line because he pulls the hardest.

Birdie: If you have been around Birdie for any length of time the thing that will stand out the most is the dreadful moaning sound she makes when she gets left behind on a sled run. It's the most bizarre sound I have ever heard a dog make. It almost sounds like she is trying to talk as she's crying, and for that reason it's even weirder. It really sounds like a person wailing caught in the throes of the deepest agony and mental suffering imaginable! You can almost make out the words "Oh...why aren't you taking me? What have I done! Why are you abandoning me? Don't leave me here, Ill do anything you ask, Pleeeeeese, pleeeeeese, please don't leave me behind, Did I make a mistake last time? I'll do better, I swear just don't go without me...don't go!" I hate to admit by the end her antics made me laugh, especially because she was obviously so upset, but she just wouldn't shut up, and like I said it was such a funny sound coming from a dog, and after a while all you can do is laugh, otherwise she will make you crazy. She's a lead dog.

Shaggy: Shaggy is another strong guy, and so he is in the same position as Winchester in the sled team. He kind of got lost on my visits out to the dog lot because he is in between Birdie (and her whining) and Lightning who vies for all attention within 20 feet of her post. But he never complained. He's not a jumper really, so I just didn't notice that I wasn't noticing him. When I did though I spent extra time with him. If you sit on his dog house he will come up and snuggle you, but won't jump on you or knock you over. He's calm and strong. He is the grandfather of Bella.
Lightning: Lightning is a cute, a husky with fluffy grey fur and a curly tail. She is full of energy and will try to jump on you with so much gusto that sometimes you get the feeling she is trying to attack you, not beg you for scratchies. But her enthusiasm is all friendly and she will roll over and accept belly rubs as soon as she knows she has your attention. She is a natural poser for photo's too. She will bark and jump and carry on and is one of the louder dogs out there. I can't remember where she runs in the sled team, either middle or back. She is the one who got in a fight with Jenna, so she has a few battle scars on her legs from their encounter. She seems to be a happy dog and is always trying to squeeze the most excitement out of the moment. Without sledding I don't think she would ever get tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment