Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 The Jungle Run!


Me after my first 1/2 marathon!
I ran my first half marathon this weekend! I was a little worried about registering because I didn't "train" for it..at all. But I do run 3-4 times a week, so I figured how hard could it be? My reason for eventually deciding to do it was that I know for sure I can walk 13 miles, so even if I couldn't run the whole way, I'd still make it to the finish line eventually. So what did I have to loose by trying right?
I did follow a few tips that I found online though, including what and when to eat the day before, how to prepare the day of the race (by hydrating, and eating energy-packed carbs, and stretching etc.) and deciding on realistic goals for the race itself.
I also utilized the "pacers" during my run. They were runners carrying signs with guaranteed finish times. Like 1:45 (an hour and 45 minutes) or 2:35 etc. (That was my main problem in the 10K I did a couple months ago, not being able to pace myself.) I couldn't believe the difference it made! It was so much easier to run 13 miles at a set pace than 6 miles trying to keep up with whoever was in front of me. I started with the slowest pace runner with a finish time of 2:35 (just to make sure I'd make it) and then moved up one every couple miles afterward if I thought I could handle it.
Anyway, I don't have my official time yet, but I was somewhere between the 2:10 and 2:15 pace runners when I crossed the finish line. I didn't have a time goal for this first race, so I'm neither impressed nor disappointed with my time. My only goal was to finish, and I did it!!! I Did it!!! And I am very happy about that:) Here is a little photo gallery of the race (in order of events)! Enjoy!

Getting pumped at the starting line!

The Pace Runners

And we're off!

The faster runners go first.

Going strong!

Self portrait while running!

Woohoo more than half way done!
This made me laugh.
Getting really tired now...
One lap around the track and I'm done!
Got lots of encouraging texts from friends and fam!
I made it! I finished!

My hat got a little sweaty though...


My piece of victory cake! Banana. Yumm!









2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps. I deleted my congratulations on a job well done - so here it is again!!! Nice work Jamie.

    ReplyDelete