Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Library

My Little Library
So I rearranged my living room to create a little "library" for myself. I've always wanted one, ever since I was 10 years old and reading Nancy Drew Mysteries. The first library I fell in love with was the Troy Public Library. The second was the one in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. (The latter is still my dream!) But it's never worked out. I've either lived in a small apartment, or had too many roommates.
But I decided that I can't keep waiting around for the perfect situation or I'll never have one. So I just took all my bookshelves and put them all on the same wall, and am making the most of the space I have. I also moved the desk and so I have a nice little library "nook" in my living room. It's pretty awesome I think. I love feeling surrounded by books, I love to organize them, and to pull one out at random to browse through. I love all the different kinds there are, and subjects they cover. I love how some are old, dense and musty, while others are light, and easy on the eyes. And I love them more when I know they are all MINE. Wahaha! They are like treasure, only not as shiny, and worth a lot less:)
The ironic thing is that since I've always been so limited on space, I've been very selective about the books I keep. So much so that I only have enough books now for 2 of my 4 shelves! I couldn't believe it! Who would have thought I would have so few books? Amazing.
I'm sure it will fill up in no time (I have next months book club book on it's way right now), but it's all I can do to keep myself from going to the used bookstore and loading up! It's taking all the self control I have.
Anyway, I finally have my library I've always wanted, and while it's small, and not quite perfect, I love it just the same!

1 comment:

  1. Last night I had a dream about two bookcases filled with books toppling on top of me. I had climbed up on a chair to get something from the top. The bookcases were flimsy and began to lose integrity. I called for help while doing my best to steady them to keep them and keep them from crashing on the floor.
    When I awoke, I immediately went to my dream book to try to decifer the meaning of this troubling dream. Books? They could represent wisdom and knowledge. Was I reaching for something beyond my grasp? Did I have a poor intellectual foundation?
    I was sharing my thoughts with Jonathon at breakfast, pondering various interpretations. He looked up from his vegan sausage and fried potatoes, and managed one word... "Earthquake"

    ReplyDelete