Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, July 22, 2013

Vegan Fare

So I'm in my...3rd week (or 4th?) of being vegan on Mondays and...it's a lot harder than I thought. I've made some progress in finding things to eat, but I've had some disappointments along the way as well. Like last week I got a tomato and artichoke and asparagus salad, only to realize after it had cheese on it. It is really surprising how many thing we eat have some animal product in them!
But I have managed to come up with a few successes. (I consider it a success if it tastes good;). I like the avocado sushi and veggie spring rolls at Safeway. There is Chipotle (as long as I'm careful about the condiments) there is the falafel sub at Subway. There are veggies (but no dip) and fruit. Breakfast is a tough one, so I've been opting for oatmeal and bananas.
I find that a lot of the "convenient" vegan foods that taste good are pretty carb loaded. For example I can have french fries, pasta, rice, or bagels but I've been trying to steer away from those kinds of food in general.
Anyway, it's going OK I guess. I find myself pretty hungry all day, and not quite satisfied food wise. But I also feel really good about what I'm learning during the process, and it has certainly got me thinking and reading a lot about where my food is coming from. Here are some of my better vegan meals so far!

Veggie spring rolls
Avocado Sushi
Falafel Sub (with no sauce though)


1 comment:

  1. Eating VEGAN?!! Cool. I have a couple of great recipies including a to-die-for chili!!! But here's my best tip for eating vegan - serve wine with every meal (except breakfast, offer Mimosa's instead) Then everything tastes great!

    ReplyDelete