Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vegan Mondays!!!


I spent the weekend in LA with my brother a couple weeks ago. It was super fun! We went to a concert, went hiking, ate delicious food, and just hung out. On our hike up to Echo Mountain we talked about the reasons why he is vegan, and he got me thinking. (I also read a pamphlet he had laying around his apartment about large scale animal farms in the U.S. Eeesh. Super disturbing.)
I've always pretty much agreed with his reasons for becoming vegan, but I've had a hard time balancing those reasons with my own  for eating meat. I love it for one thing, it's so delicious. And in a way I feel bad about saying that, but I also have to be honest with myself about it. But not only that, I actually think I need it in my diet. I become slightly anemic when I go too long without red meat. That translates into me feeling tired, and weak, and sort of...sick.
But he said something that changed my perspective. He said that he knew a lot of vegans who thought there were only two options, you either care or you don't. But he doesn't agree with that. In the same way that you can't choose what is right for your career based on someone else's expectations, neither can you base what you believe, how you believe it, or your actions concerning it, on other peoples expectations. It reminded me of how I felt about exercise at one point. I thought if I wasn't going to work out everyday, then working out one or two days was pointless. But it's not. Any exercise is better than no exercise. Every little bit does help and does make a difference. And while some folks might have the energy to tackle the gym everyday that doesn't mean that I can't make a difference in my own life by going twice a week. Nor does that mean that I am not interested or dedicated. I'm just dedicated in my own way to the best of my ability under the circumstances in my life.
So after a couple weeks of thinking about that, I have come up with a solution that I think is right for me. It satisfies all my beliefs, and pleasures, and I think I've struck the right balance between what I think, what I feel, and what I love (about food anyway;)
I'm going to be vegan for one day a week. I chose Mondays. I'm calling it "Vegan Monday" because it sounds more like a holiday when it has a name;) On Mondays I am going to be super conscientious of what I am eating and what it's made of. I think that in itself will be an education and help me to be more aware of what I am consuming and where it comes from.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm going to be vegetarian. Mostly because it's easier to just not eat meat instead of having to comb through ingredients to see what has eggs or dairy in it. This is a compromise between veganism and the practicality of my life.
On Wednesdays, and Friday to Sunday I will eat as I need and like to. This satisfies my need for red meat, and my enjoyment in eating food, and creating food, and trying new things at restaurants etc.
It may seem like I'm being wishy-washy, or doing things half-assed, but I'm not. This is a full-ass attempt I assure you;) I am taking into account a lot of different (and conflicting) things that are important to me and creating the best possible solution in which they can all work practically and be sustainable in my life.
But the point is that I am doing something. And that is better than nothing. It's not meaningless. Being vegan for one day a week is not a worthless cause. It's actually a pretty great one. And I feel really good about that. So while I'd never impose my viewpoint on anyone (nor has my brother with me), I would also encourage you to think about what you think about what you eat, and weigh that against what you believe, your health, and your quality of life, and then decide if there is or isn't a better way for you (that could fall anywhere between everyone else's expectations!!!) to bring all of those things into harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment