Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Thoreau" the Forest and Off the Grid...

I know someone who has decided to give up everything (i.e. career, house, etc.) and live off the land in a trailer in Oregon somewhere. And I don't know what I think about that. On the one hand the thought of getting away from the stress, and (what I consider) ridiculous obligations that most of have seems like a great idea. Living off the land, whittling wood, picking my nose(and doing other things that people who have nothing to do find to occupy themselves) seems just great.
But then I don't know. I mean what if I break my leg and need to have it set? What if I have a hankering for Taco Bell that I just can't get past? What if I want to watch the Super Bowl, or go shopping? What if I want a steak for dinner?
I like the idea of going off the grid, but I think I like the convenience of urban life more.
You know who had the right idea? H.D. Thoreau. His Walden Pond for all it inspired his work on nature and ecology was only about two miles away from downtown Concord . Apparently he could see the train go by from his little cabin! (For some reason I always imagined it being out in the middle of nowhere.) Anyway...maybe that would be my style. Solidude in the middle of everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment