Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 9: That's What I'm Talking About!!!

Rodgers, Woodson and Mathews. (packers.com) 
Ahhh...finally! The Packers are playing just how I was hoping they would all season. In fact this is sort of feeling like the second half of last season, and I guess that makes sense since this is the midway point.
Defense:
The defense played great.  I am loving the new Mathews/Woodson blitz package that Dom Capers (defensive coordinator) is running! Both those guys just had a great night. Woodson has been amazing the last couple years, and his ability to interfere with an offenses play calling is, I think, really central to the success the defense has had. Plus I think he is a solid team leader. Mathews defensive TD was sweet, although his Lambeau Leap could use a little work. (His was actually worse than Rodgers first if you can believe that.) Apparenlty the last time #52 scored a touchdown was in high school! Mathews is leading the NFL in sacks and is 2 ahead of second place.
Packers defense rules!! (packers.com)
Tramon Williams had another solid game. He is taking after Woodson and trying to strip the ball every down he's on the field.  Sam Shields is really stepping up too, and made a nice interception early in the game. The Packers just announced today that they are releasing Al Harris, and I have to think the reason is because these two cornerbacks are performing so well. Harris is awesome, but his injuries haven't allowed him much play. I am glad played 7 great seasons with the Pack! We will miss you AL!!!
I thought Nick Collins had a great game, even though he got a penalty for a helmet-to-helmet hit on a receiver. In his interview after the game he said that it was more or less and accident. He tried to let up, but it all happened so fast he just couldn't make the adjustment quick enough. He was disappointed that he will probably get fined, but seemed understanding of the new emphasis on the rule. He said he was just trying to do his job, and in no way was trying to intentionally hurt the other player. "I'm not that kind of guy." He said, and that's exactly what I was thinking last night when I saw it happen.
Another good sign was that Atari Bigby played for a few downs toward the end of the game. I am glad to see him back in action! Welcome back.
James Jones had a big night last night. And I am glad for him, but there is something about him that leaves me shaking my head. He has had 4 fumbles and 2 touchdowns this season.  I get that receivers drop passes, but he drops perfect ones, at really critical points in games. And for whatever reason he has a hard time securing the ball. But maybe I'm wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.
I do like the Kuhn/Jackson backfield combo though. Maybe it does take the two of them to do what one Ryan Grant could, but you know something? They are getting it done. Grant averaged about 80 yards a game last year, and Khun+Jackson are equaling about 75 yards. And if you add Rodgers rushing yardage, over all I'd have to say not too shabby guys!!!
Clifton is my hero (and looks exactly like the kid in the movie "Up" by Disney/Pixar), and the whole offensive line is doing spectacular! Almost no penalties, and just performing wonderfully. They are definitly the most improved this season.
Jennings had some sweet plays and just has this way of catching pretty much everything Rodgers throws at him.Gotta love Jennings. He's finally getting more action, and I think he should.
Russell and Clifton. Long lost brothers?
And Aaron Rodgers really showed up yesterday. It was the best I have seen him play all season I think. The one pass to Jennings was incredible. I watched in in replay ten times at least. The ball literally fell into Jennings arms. He made some good runs, I especially liked the one where instead of running out of bounds shy of the 1st down he turned and took on two DB's to secure it. He had great awareness in the pocket, and he was able to extend some plays (thanks to the offensive line) connect with just about everyone! The other thing I noticed about AR yesterday was that he looked like he was having fun out there. He's actually kind of cute when he smiles, and he seemed to be doing it a lot yesterday. I'm glad. I am sure it's super stressful being the QB and sometimes I wonder if players don't regret later not having more fun. I think Rodgers had fun last night.
Well, I was going to talk about the rest of the games, but I feel like this is too long already. I will quickly give a shout out to Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions for that awesome (but unsucessfull) attempt at a field goal, filling in for  long time Lions kicker Jason Hanson (who was injured). LOL it was rad!

No comments:

Post a Comment