Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Best Loss Ever

I realize I didn't comment on the Packers game last week. That's because we lost and played terrible. Our defense was awful. Their tackle attempts reminded me of those machines filled with stuffed animals that you have to drop a claw on to win a prize.
So why have I decided to write about our second consecutive loss at the most critical time of the season? I am writing about it because unlike last week I am proud of the Pack despite the loss.
For starters (and it started the game) the gutsy on-side kick off was sa-weeeeet! WOW! Along with the Patriots we were totally caught off guard, and it was awesome! Nice call McCarthy.
Then the incredible, miraculous game executed by Matt Flynn was not at all what we were expecting. He was great! Poised and confident and on top of that (gasp!) he actually looked like he was having fun! And Kuhn was spectacular as well. I may spend the rest of this season and part of the next wondering why he wasn't utilized last week in Detroit (in fact if I could as Mike McCarthy one question I think that would be it). Stellar performance, and as far as I am concerned he should be included in much more of the play calling than he currently is.
The defense missed some key plays, but over all they performed great. Almost 3 interceptions (yeah, Tom Brady was lucky) and  two nice sacks for big ol B.J Raji. The Pats took advantage of the inexperience of Sam Shields, but for a rookie he did great, and definitly doesn't deserve any criticism for his performance. It's all part of the game.
It was a great game. And we almost won. But the clock ran out. We should have gotten at least one more play in. So why didn't we? Well, I am pretty sure the fault rests squarely on the coaching staff. I would bet they hadn't anticipated a close game or a possible win. I would bet they didn't have an emergency last minute play lined up for Flynn (like they have for Rodgers), because they didn't think he'd make it that far. And that was their bad. Flynn was ready and probably could have run the ball in for a touchdown himself if they'd had a little more faith in their backup quarterback.
But it's over, and it's all in the past. Our season is pretty much done, which is...disappointing, but I'm still really proud of how the team came together and played last night. That's MY Packers team.

No comments:

Post a Comment