Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Got a Beef with Reindeer

Am I the only one who has noticed the story of Rudolf the red nosed reindeer is very un-Christmassy? It upsets me, and I refuse to have any part of it! This is nothing new to me. I have thought this for years. I was just just a kid when I first heard the song (originally performed by Gene Autry in 1947) . And I thought to myself, "WOW that's pretty messed up."
First of all, why are all the other reindeer so judgemental? What is that all about? Not only did they ignore Rudolf, they also laughed and called him names, and he was the cutest thing ever! Totally inappropriate. Period. Second, why would such a great person like Santa have such lousy reindeer? How could he kept an accurate list of all the naughty and nice children in the world, but not know Dasher and Dancer were douche-bags? It's a chink in the armor of Santa Claus. An anomalous inconsistency in his character and I don't care for it at all.  And thirdly (although this is a side note) since when is there fog at the North Pole? I am no meteorologist but I think the temperature has to be above freezing for fog to occur. Anyway....
Rudolf: A more forgiving deer than me.
My mom says the story is not about the other reindeer it's about Rudolf forgiving them. But I say that bull-shenannagans! If I was Rudolf I would have told the other reindeer to shove a candy cane where the sun don't shine, and simultaneously informed Santa that if he really needed me to guide his sleigh he's need to raise the bar on the deer he chose to associate with. End of story.
I guess some folks consider Rudolf a Christmas tradition, but for me anyway, this tale is not one I will perpetuate or include in my celebrations.
Any thoughts? Want to comment? Please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment