Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, July 18, 2011

Longing for Game Day

(Borrowed from nbcsports.com)
It's always at the end of July/August that I get impatient waiting for football to start. I am sure the players appreciate the time off, and for them I am glad for the off season. But not for me. The off season is kind of like the first week home after camp. Where you find yourself feeling suddenly alone and miss everyone and everything you've left behind. A desperate longing grows in my bosom for the voices of Troy, Joe, John, Jaws and Mike (and the rest of the commentators) arguing over play calls and missed tackles. I begin to daydream about cool, autumn Sunday mornings, waking up on game day with butterflies in my stomach, not sure what the outcome of the days match up will be, but excited to cheer for the Pack no matter what. I take inventory of all my fan gear, and decide on outfits to wear for the first three games (even though we are usually the only ones at the bar!) And of course I miss the guys on the team. All of them. Offense, defense, special teams, coaches, everybody! While I wouldn't claim to know any of them on a personal level, I actually know them quite well on a football one. I was there for every play each of them made last season, and shared the elation and frustration of each of their victories and defeats respectively. And I miss them. Right now I am surviving only by watching the Championship Game and Super Bowl every other week (our stupid DVR erased all the rest of the games we recorded), but it's not enough. I need real live football!
Anyway, "only" 6 more weeks till the official season is set to start...that is if the lockout is over. *Sigh* Why can't every day be game day?

No comments:

Post a Comment