Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Matter of Timing

I was thinking this morning about calling in sick to work. I'm not actually ill, but it was harder than usual to dissuade myself from sleeping in and then heading to Panera to read and have a cup of hazelnut coffee. I can do this very thing on the weekend, every weekend if I want, but for some reason it always seems like it would be much more enjoyable to do on say, a Wednesday morning. After pondering this for a moment I realized that it's not so much a matter of the activity, but of the timing that makes it special. Doing (some) ordinary things at weird times makes them awesome. For example, having breakfast for dinner, awesome! (As a kid I especially loved this.), Getting flowers, or a gift not on your birthday, awesome! Christmas in July, I'm not really sure what it means, but it sounds double awesome! Sleeping in on a Monday morning when you should be at work, awesome! Drinking champagne mimosas with breakfast, awesome! Getting up super early on the weekend to go for a walk when all the world is still asleep, awesome! Rainy days in the summer (there are very few in California), awesome! A card in the mail (not for a b-day or holiday) awesome!
So the next time you want to do something special for yourself or someone else, remember you don't have to do anything crazy or big. Maybe just re-arranging your normal activities can make your life more enjoyable, and really (pleasantly) surprise someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment