Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tragedy in Yosemite

The top of Yosemite Falls, looking over the edge
Just weeks after having spent my birthday hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls, I came upon an article about three people who died earlier this week while hiking another waterfall also located within Yosemite National Park. My heart lurched as I read the headline, and I quickly scanned the article. The story is that three people, two women and one man, went over Vernal Falls in front of several witnesses (including the other 7 members of their hiking group) after wading out into the middle of the river just above the falls to pose for photographs!
I couldn't believe it when I read it, and did so twice just to make sure I understood it correctly. Yes, the three ignored the signs posted everywhere, crossed the metal fence, and waded out into a raging river that fell 300 feet to the valley floor below. The man and one woman were out on a rock posing when she slipped. He tried to grab her, but fell in too, then the other woman tried to get a hold of them and fell in also. The couple that had been standing on the rock were seen holding tight to each as they went over the edge. It's a horrifying story, almost too awful to be real it seems. And it was such an unnecessary tragedy.
The wildly rushing water.
I do not mean to speak ill of the dead, because I truly  am very sorry for both their loss and that of their friends and family, but I am also shocked that grown adults would do something as...stupid as that. What could they possibly have been thinking? I witnessed, first hand, the rush of water flying over the edge of the granite wall at Yosemite Falls, and I cannot fathom any sane person even considering getting in the water. Even if your intellect could be tricked, the reactions of your body, the heightened paranoia, and release of adrenaline would warn you not to proceed. I just don't understand it.
 So in the improbable chance that you don't already know this:
For all of you folks out there who may find themselves near a waterfall at some point in the future, please be warned that they are as dangerous as they are beautiful. Use caution at both the top and bottom of falls (as currents at the bottom of falls can suck you under swirling you around in a whirlpool that will not let you go until the water levels drop some months later). Be cautious of ANY wet rocks. Even if you have hiking boots on, obey posted signs, they are there for a reason, and don't get too close. If you want to put your feet in the water, move further down the river (at the bottom, not the top!) where the water is calm. And if you want a picture, buy a post card, if you want one with you in it, by Photoshop. I'm serious. Just be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment