Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bird Bath



I was just walking to the grocery store to pick up some soup for lunch when I noticed a blackbird taking a bath in a puddle created by a broken sprinkler head. I was amazed by this because it never really occurred to me that a bird is smart enough to take a bath. I mean, isn't that something? Somewhere in their brains is the knowledge and ability see a mud puddle and decide to clean themselves.
First it ruffled its feathers up, then it dipped its wings in the water then immediately shook them off. It did that a couple times, then it dipped it's head and sort of arched it's back and tail feathers up (splashing its back I guess) and repeated the whole process.  I don't know, maybe it's dumb, I certainly feel silly writing about it, but it just struck me when I saw it.
I got to thinking about it on my way back, and wondered exactly why they were doing it. It turns out that they do it for the same reasons we wash our hair, to remove some of the oil, and to keep lice away. Ha ha, isn't that great? If I ever have a reasonably sized back yard, I will have to get a bird bath.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed in the spring when I have my fountain running, that a hummingbird comes to bathe. It is fun and amazing to watch. Now I wonder what other animals have this "need to take a bath" instinct? Hm....maybe snails as they too, are always in the fountain. What about squirrels? Esh...I hope not!

    ReplyDelete