Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, September 16, 2013

Week 2: Packers vs Redskins

Some of the stars from Sunday's game:
Nelson, Starks, Rodgers
(Borrowed from Packers.com)
Everyone did pretty great I thought. The Rodgers to Cobb pass on fourth down was pretty fantastic. I like that they went for it on 4th instead of punting it away.
Starks had a great run in the beginning of the game, and then filled in for Eddie Lacy, and had the best run game for the Packers in over three years! Nice job Starks! It reminded me of our Super Bowl Run a couple years back. How excited would I be if our run game came online? VERY.
The helmet-led hit by Brandon Merriweather on Eddie Lacy took him out of the game with a concussion. It looked pretty awful in slow motion, and I hope Lacy is OK. And not that concussions are no big deal, but I'm glad that it wasn't a season ending injury.
Merriweather took himself out of the game with another simmilar hit on Starks a while later. Luckily Starks was OK, but someone really needs to talk to Merriweather, and explain to him the 2013 NFL rule book.
Rodgers had some really nice passes to James Jones, who is getting better and better every year. I like his attitude, work ethic, and the fact that he actually catches most of the balls thrown to him. I know he got that touchback later in the game, but I really don't think that was his fault. He was doing exactly what he was supposed to, and trying to score and the ball was wet. It could happen to anyone.
There was a beautiful Nelson TD called back because Josh Sitton got called for holding. But Rodgers connected with him again and got the 6 back. I don't know what's going on with Sitton. That's four holding calls in 2 games. Not cool dude.
Jermichael Finley and Randal Cobb both had a nice game. The jump for the TD by Finley was pretty great. His Lambeau Leap however, left something to be desired. That's fine by me, I'm just saying.
Davon House got a nice Sack on RGIII. I think our pass rush was a little weak, but I guess they did OK. Perry had some nice plays, as did Hawk. Sam Shields had a great game! He didn't get an interception, but he broke up at least 4 plays that I can remember. I was really impressed.
Mike Neal had a nice interception on the Redskins attempted 4 down conversion.
I missed most of the third quarter because I was rushing around getting dressed, then we had to head into town and find a bar that was playing the game. But I caught the fourth quarter, and it was more of the same.
The Packers showed up, and had a really good game.
But I realize the Redskins are not a very good team, and so while I'm encouraged, I'm not getting too ahead of myself. We still have some work to do in our secondary. And Rodgers did get sacked 3 times, so the offensive line needs some adjusting as well. And the running backs need to block better. Starks is pretty terrible at blocking, but if they could help out the offensive line, I really think it would give Rodgers time to connect more smoothly down field.
But I'll take a win any day! Can't wait until next week! Go Pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment