Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Flores de Calabaza

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I bought squash blossoms (aka. flores de calabaza) at the market this week. I find that when experimenting with food one of the best methods is to just go out and see what's available and then ask who ever is selling it how to prepare it.
So that's what I did. The seller said to fill them with cheese (I used pepper jack), dip them in egg and flour and pan fry them. So that's what I did. And they were delicious! They tasted very similar to chiles rellanos, but are ten times easier to make since you don't have to grill and peel the skin off the peppers! Win!
I am not sure if you are supposed to pull out the seeds inside the flower or eat the base of it, but I found both to be yummy, so I guess I'd leave that up to you. This was a very fast, very simple and very easy recipe that is sure to bring "ohhs and aahs" if severed as an appetizer at your next gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment