Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sushi Time!

Daikon root are delicious in sushi.
Try something new! Make sushi at home. It's pretty easy once you have the veggies cut up, and it's fun to experiment with different combinations. All you need is sticky rice (the recipe is on the back of the bag), seaweed sheets, a bamboo rolling mat, and whatever veggies and fish you desire! Make a party out of it, or do as I did and have a "girls night"!

Incidentally I was also able to try two more of my roots (although one I bought in a jar already pickled). Ginger root is a must for me and sushi. I can live without wasabi, but not ginger. It's great with fish, most Asian cooking, and yummy dried and ground and put into fall pies.

The finished product.
The second root is called a Daikon Root, and it is pictured in the foreground of the above picture. Its a large white root that has both the texture and taste of a radish, but slightly more mild. It doesn't have to be cooked to eat. In fact I think it would taste funny cooked. It's great for sushi filler, cut up as veggies and dip, and would make a nice topping for a salad. I give the diakon root 3 stars for versatility, texture and being easy to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment