Ammonite

Ammonite

Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 1: Packers vs Saints

Goal line stand (photo from packers.com)

For all of the NFL fans out there this year's season opener between the Packers and the Saints did not disappoint. For all us Packer fans the game was exciting and at least for myself, a little stressful toward the end. I told my BF if this is any indication of the season, then it's going to be an exciting ride.
The offense started out on fire. They came out of the gate running, and really didn't stop until that three-and-out somewhere at the end of the second quarter I think. The no huddle is new for the Packers offense, and so far I have to say I love it. With the right group of guys it is so effective (just look at Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts) and Rodgers is the right quarterback to lead that kind of offense. I give McCarthy a lot of credit for making that part of the game plan, especially since he is the offensive play caller.
The offensive line did a really nice job. After trading Daryn College to the Arizona Cardinals, there was some adjusting to do, but the O-line really performed well. Clifton had some good blocks, and only two false starts were called on the offense, both on T.J. Lang. Rodgers was sacked twice, but at least the second time it had nothing to do with the offensive line, James Starkes missed a block, which resulted in the sack.
The running game went well, with a combined total between Ryan Grant and Starks at right around a hundred yards. The average was 4.5 yards a carry or something like that, which is slightly better than average. I noticed Starks played more downs than Grant did, and I think that will continue throughout the season. It was my opinion at the end of last season that Starks would give Grant a run for his money (no pun intended) and from what I've seen so far James Starks is the better running back. Starks scored a nice touchdown, and hopefully that too will be an ongoing trend.
Kuhn was a free agent this past year, and I am glad to see the Packers signed him to a deal for at least three more years. He had some nice plays, and scored a TD, but by far the best play was when he physically held Randall Cobb up after colliding with the Saints special teams players during a punt return that resulted in a TD. It was totally amazing! And since special teams was definitely the weak link last night, it is somewhat comforting to know that at least Kuhn is out there making plays.
Jermichael Finely had a couple nice catches, and more than anything it was nice to see him out on the field running and diving and looking like his pre-injury self. Driver had some nice catches, tying, but unfortunately not breaking the Packers all time record for receiving yards. It would have been nice for him to break the record at a home game, but I'm sure he will take the record however it comes. As a side note, I think Donald Driver should win an award for the best smile in the NFL. Every time I see him grin after a catch I swear that the word feels like a happier place. But getting back to football...
Randall Cobb. WOW! What an NFL start! You have to hand it to the coaching staff, for snatching this guy up in the second round of the draft. I found it interesting that both Rodgers and Cobb were the two last players in the green room during their draft years, and both selected by the Green Bay Packers....maybe that's why it's called "green" room? Being selected last, I think you go into the NFL with something to prove, and you feel differently about the team that finally does choose you. I think both of those things has contributed to make Rodgers (and maybe Cobb) the football player that he is. Anyway, Cobb takes a punt return 108 yards for a touchdown tying the NFL record! It is the first time that has happened in ten or eleven years for the Pack. Apparently McCarthy was shouting some not-so-nice things into his headset when Cobb took off running, but started cheering for him when he was hoisted up by Kuhn at the 40 and ran to daylight. And then shortly after Cobb caught a pass by Rodgers (after running the wrong route!) and made a spectacular dive into the end zone. It's probably too early to speculate but holy mackerel, I like where Cobb is heading! Jennings had a couple great catches. Those back shoulder throws and catches are my favorite. And Tom Crabtree had a nice catch and some nice blocks.
The defense had some good moments, but they occurred between some pretty bad ones too. The D-line did great I thought. With B.J. Raji front and center they may as well have put a brick wall up there. It reminded me of the scene from the Princess Bride where Westley was trying to fight with Andre the Giant, and getting nowhere. There were some good oppertunities for Matthews and some of the other guys to get a Brees but seemed to slip on the turf or fall down before they got to him. And toward the end of the game I felt like there was no pressure on Brees at all, giving him all day to find an open target. The defense didn't play badly per-se, but they didn't play as well as they did at the end of the season last year. Maybe they just need to get into a groove, or maybe it's just because they were facing off against a really good Saints offense, but I think they have plenty of things to work on this week. I thought A.J. Hawk had a great game, despite the pass interference call in the last play. Sometimes the penalty is the better option over a touchdown. And the goal line stand was pretty epic. I still don't know what happened to Tramon Williams who left the field with an injured shoulder, but I really hope it's nothing serious. He was such a huge impact on defense last year I don't want to think about him not being there this year. Especially with no Cullen Jenkens, which I am still upset about.
Over all the game was pretty good. The offense is very close to where it needs to be, especially with a running game in place. But the defense gave away 34 points (well, special teams helped) and I think that could definitely be improved upon. OK, well, that's it for week one.

No comments:

Post a Comment