Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is This Racist?

I was watching TV the other night when a commercial came on for an internet dating site called blackpeoplemeet.com. I was really surprised by it.
First of all it's implying that skin color is a number one priority of some singles. Instead of meeting interesting and people based on compatibility and personality criteria as on a traditional dating site, some singles would rather limit themselves and potential spouses  based on compatibility of skin pigmentation. And as learned people of all skin tones have been saying for quite some time now, segregation whether pushed upon a group of people, or instituted from within, based on skin color is ridiculous and should have no place in modern society.
Secondly, I wonder how people would respond if the commercial had been for whitepeoplemeet.com? Even to my ears it sounds worse somehow, when it should only sound equally as terrible. I think it would be an interesting psychological experiment for someone to run an ad on TV for some sort of white only dating site and see what happens. I feel like it would be a much bigger deal.
I've had similar discussions with friends, and they seem to say the same thing, that I don't understand because I'm white, and I've never been a minority. But I don't understand that as an argument. We aren't talking about me, we are talking about racism, and we have two choices. Either it's right or it's wrong. Either you believe that it is fair to distinguish (for good or bad) groups of people by skin color, or you don't. And I don't.
I know this is a touchy subject, but what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment