Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, August 15, 2011

New Flavors

So I am still on my ice cream kick. Thankfully I'm less interested in eating it than I am in creating it. I've been experimenting a little here and there (since my freezer can only hold so much ice cream at a time) and am getting the hang of it I think. I have done a few batches of the usual chocolate/toffee/caramel varieties, and have moved on to trying fresh (seasonal and thus really cheap) fruit, and green tea.
I mentioned in my last ice cream blog that I'd purchased some figs, and was trying to think of something to make with them. Well I did eventually come up with a recipe. It marked my first attempt at a truly a original flavor, and I am happy to say my experiment turned out pretty well. So what flavor was it? It was fresh fig, and goat cheese ice cream! I know, I know, it sounds gross, but trust me it actually tasted much better than it sounds. My mom even took it to a dinner party and everyone there thought it was good (at least that's what she told me:) At any rate my early success has inspired me to come up with some other off the wall flavors to try. I haven't made any of these yet, but here is my "to do" list so far:

  1. Mexican Horchata
  2. Carrot Cake/ Cream Cheese
  3. Country Peach and Sweet Riesling
  4. Dark Chocolate Cabernet
  5. Jasmine Tea and Honey
  6. Zucchini Walnut Cheesecake
  7. Creamy Sherry and Cherry
  8. Fruity Pebbles (Oh yes, I'm doing it!)
  9. White Russian Pound Cake
  10. Lemon Bar and Almond
They all sound good to me, but I am not sure if all of them, or any, will translate well into ice cream. I guess that's the fun of experimenting! I'll keep you posted! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I just had some great homemade vegan ice cream (hint hint) when visiting Lisa and Orlando in Arizona. It uses some kind of coconut milk base ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which one of the above sounds the best to you? I'll try it dairy free and see what happens:)

    ReplyDelete