Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, April 2, 2012

Goals: Keys100

Click here for details!
I've gotten back into running, and am really enjoying it again. So far I am only doing treadmill running (since it's easier on my feet and shins) but eventually I hope to get back outside for some too.
Anyway, I have been thinking about doing a marathon for a couple years now on and off, and I was just cruising the internet and found something that looks like fun that I think I'd like to try for next year. Its called the Keys100 and there are several ways it can be done. You can do an individual 100 mile run, an individual 50 mile run, or a 6 person relay for the 100 miles.
It is being held on May 19th of this year, but that would only leave me with 7 weeks to work my way up to 50 miles, and I think you are supposed to take the week before the race off, so that would leave me with only 6 weeks. As much as I am tempted to try it, I don't think I'd make it. I still might try to see if I can get up to a fifty mile run by my birthday though. I think it would be a real accomplishment. (Last year I hiked Yosemite Falls and almost died of...whatever people die from when they are out of shape (muscle cramps, exhaustion, complaining), and I'd really like to do something healthy and challenging again.)
Anyway, after thinking about it more, I thought it would actually be more fun to see if I could scrounge up four or five other people who might be willing to train, and join me in NEXT years race as part of a relay team for the 100 mile run. That would give people plenty of time to get in shape and prepare. And it would be fun to spend a weekend in the Florida Keys! I personally would like to run about 30 miles myself, but all distances can be adjusted according to ability and whatever. I'd even be down to do it with 4 people, and we each take a quarter of the race. So if you know of anyone who might think this would be fun, and be interested in running 10-20 miles, and can commit to South Florida next May, let me know. If I can gather enough people together I'd really like to do this!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! I'd be into taking part, but more at the 15 - 20 miles level ... I don't think running 30 miles would be very healthy on all but the most freakishly athletic body. Back in the day when I ran that marathon, I promised never to run that far again, but something around 18 miles I think could be fun to do again ...

    ReplyDelete