Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

Don't forget to vote!

Today is Election Day. In general I avoid politics because it is almost impossible (in my opinion) to find any real "truth" amid the politic-ing. But that doesn't mean that I don't take my opportunity to cast a vote when the time comes to do so. Whether or not I enjoy watching the debates, or reading the seemingly endless collection of "Say yes to Prop 34" or "say no to Prop 37" fliers that I get in the mail, I do feel a sense of responsibility to involve myself in the confusing world of politics when election time rolls around. Even if I don't "feel" like it. I am often confused by the propositions, and sometimes it takes me a good long while to figure out what they are even saying. For a long time I didn't vote on most of them because, again, I felt like there were too many hidden agendas, that there was too much trickery and deception going into writing them for me to ever make heads or tails of anything. But then I realized that (for myself) that probably isn't the right thing to do. I don't think anybody can know what candidates running for election are really thinking. Nor can we know what the writers of the propositions have in their hearts as they writing. We can't know (no matter what they say or promise) for 100% what electing a specific person will do, nor can we know exactly what will happen if we vote yes or no for a specific proposition. But seeing into the souls of politicians is not our responsibility. Our responsibility is only to make the most informed judgement we can, based on the information available to us even. (Even if that information is cryptic, convoluted and confusing as hell.) That's it. That's what we have to work with, and apparently it's the best that our country can do. We have to make the most of it.
So now I just do my best to understand the issue at hand, and give the prop (or candidate) the best vote I am capable of. To summarize, you probably won't ever hear me ask "Who did you vote for?" but at the same time I always cast my vote. I think you should too.

Up early casting my vote!

1 comment:

  1. I find elections and candidates less than inspiring and to me, inspiration is what I seek. Truth is non-existent, promises are hollow, so I look for someone who has integrity, values and character with the hope that whatever situation arises the response will be met with what is right - not easy or popular. Unfortunately, neither candidate fills the bill - but I guess I just have to do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete