Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fight Club

Velasques vs. Dos Santos
Now that I am super into kickboxing I am also becoming more interested in watching fights on TV. I've accompanied my BF to watch fights before, but I wasn't exactly excited about it (but went that way he could have a couple beers and enjoy himself and not worry about driving home). But now that's beginning to change. I like boxing a little, but I really like the MMA (mixed martial arts) fights, since some of the moves they do I have learned in kickboxing. And just like any sport that you actually know a little something about, it has become much more interesting and less violent that I had first assumed. Of course they are fighting, so there is obviously going to be cuts, scrapes, blood, black eyes, swollen ears and faces, but for the most part all the guys fighting are very respectful of the rules of the sport, and each other. They aren't angry or borderline murderers or anything like that. They are athletes.
But I can still watch the fights both ways. The old way that found it horrifying and gruesome and my new way. We went to Hooters to watch the George St.Pierre fight a couple weekends ago. And it was actually really fun! I was able to spot moves that I knew how to do which was awesome. Like the "superman punch":) and I came to understand much more clearly why our kickboxing coaches are always telling us to do things like extend our arms when we punch, or keep our hands up at all times. It makes sense when you actually watch people who are fighting. And there is a strategy, a point system, and all kinds of rules that are (believe it or not) intended to protect the fighters. So that was all interesting too. But then I had a moment where I looked around me, and there on all the 30 or so TV's were two guys covered in blood (and I mean blood on the guys, on the ground, all over the place),  beating the stuffing out of each other and I thought to myself, "What in the world am I watching?!?" and had to cover my eyes because it was so...painful to watch. And they went for all 5 rounds so it was a good fight, but it just looked so painful you know? I must have too much empathy or something.
LOL. Well, the next big fight is at the end of December, and one of the fighters is a local San Jose guy, Cain Velasquez. My BF actually recognized him and his family walking around Los Gatos this summer and stopped to say hi! So I'll be cheering for him. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to the fight...ha ha. Who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment