Ammonite

Ammonite

Friday, July 13, 2012

Little Black Dress

I've written about this before...How I get in these moods where I feel suffocated and overwhelmed with all the "stuff" we have in our tiny apartment. In all reality it is hardly anything. Enough boxes and books to maybe fill a minivan with the back seats taken out. But in a 600 square foot apartment, it seems like a lot.
Anyway, yesterday at work I read an article about a couple who lives in Brooklyn New York in a 250 sq. ft. apartment. They had all these really neat tips for living in small spaces, on of which was don't buy a bunch of crap! Ha. But it got me in the mood to try once again to weed out the excess, if there even is any, among my meager possessions. I think I did pretty good on my closet. I managed to get rid of about six dresses that I haven't worn in a while, 7 pairs of shoes, including one pair that never fit me to begin with, but I've been unwilling to part with because they are designer.
The hardest part is to really think about everything. I mean, those items have been in my closet for years, so I tend to not to notice them after a while. Or I just start to feel like they somehow "belong" there, and so it never occurs to me to get rid of them.
I've had this one black dress in my closet for about two years now, and I almost feel like we are friends. I've never worn it out in public though. I bought it because while it didn't fit me at the time it was only $5. And I thought to myself on the off chance that some time in the future I might loose weight the $5 I paid for it would become an incredible deal. And it's been hanging in my closet ever since. I just tried it on recently and the good news is it fits a little better. The bad news is I never noticed before how the ruffles at the top make me look like Batman. I've attempted to wear it at least three times in the last month, but changed at the last minute into something else. The only accessory that I own that wouldn't clash with that dress is a black mask I wore to a Halloween party. Despite all of that it never occurred to me that maybe we should maybe be parting ways...until about fifteen minutes ago. That's when I decided that even though I'd gone through my closet twice, I was going to force myself to get rid of one more thing. And there it was. Hanging there, the same as it has been since I've lived here. I pulled it off the hanger, realizing that I'd never wear it, that it is hideous, and that I should never have bought it in the first place.
And then I felt sad and a little guilty, like I'd somehow betrayed it, even though it's a dress and has no feelings. So in order to appease my inexplicable guilt, I decided to post a blog about it, to commemorate it in the 1's and 0's of cyber space, and to acknowledge my fault in the matter. All in hopes that I can move on and not hang it back up in my closet.
It was an ugly dress. It never fit right, and had those awful before-mentioned ruffles. But it was reliable. It was there for me every time I opened my closet. It never complained, and it did a fine job of making me look like a caped crusader. The fault is mine, and the blame goes to me. I'm sorry I never wore you little black dress, and I'm sorry that I led you on for so long. I didn't mean to. Goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. I can identify with that allright - except I might have sewn up the bottom and used it as a bag for a couple of times and then ushered it out. Remakes are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you gave the little black batman dress a proper eulogy on Friday the 13th.

    ReplyDelete