Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Primate's Memoir


I just finished reading A Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky. I've read some of his other stuff, and even purchase a neuroscience lecture series he did for the Teaching Company. But this was by far the most entertaining. Some of his other books are more informative, but this one was..pure pleasure to read. I got a happy feeling every time I flipped it opened and started the next chapter.
The book is generally about his years working in Africa studying baboons. But it's so much more than that as well. It's about him personally, the transition from starry-eyed grad student to Stanford professor. It's about the recent history of the African nations, it's about the native and indigenous people he met and befriended.  It's about triumph and tragedy, human nature, and animal nature. It was both super funny and incredibly sad.
Sapolsky is a scientist, but he's also hilarious. And he has a no nonsense, no embarrassment sort of approach to everything whether he is talking about injustice, death, race, sex or feces. Sometimes it's sort of shocking, other times it's really funny. I found the paragraph where he describes getting horrible diarrhea in the middle of the night while his camp was being overrun by curious elephants to be particularly entertaining.
It was a wonderful book, and I 100%....no, 200% (if that were possible)  recommend this book to anyone who likes travel writing, science writing, or just a darn good read. You will not be disappointed!!!

1 comment:

  1. Just reading your review makes me want to borrow this book. I guess that's what reviews are supposed to do one way or the other. However, as an author myself, though I would appreciate reading your blog,I would appreciate even more this review posted on Amazon (which has 84 reviews for the book) and Barnes and Nobel (which has only 6 reviews). Why not share your enthusiasm with some of those shoppers as well.
    Here's to 100, no 200% recommendations!!!

    ReplyDelete