Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, July 30, 2012

Happy Football Season!

Depending on your definition, the 2012 NFL season may or may have already begun! If you count it by the first day of training camp, then we are officially on! WooHoo! Yay football season! The Pack is back!!! I am so excited! I have miss football, and am glad to have it back.
In celebration of this exciting event I thought I'd catch you all up on some Packers news you may or may not know.
As I mentioned earlier this year we no longer have Matt Flynn as a backup QB. While this still makes me very, very, very sad, I (guess) am (reluctantly) happy for him in his new starting role in Seattle.
Packers 1st pick in the draft this year was USC linebacker Nate Perry. Hopefully he will balance out the linebacker position so Clay Matthews can get back to sacking QB's with his gigantic muscly arms and ridiculous flowing hair. I missed that last year (the sacks not the hair).
Donald Driver with his wicked ripped abs, and brilliant smile won Dancing with the Stars! I was shocked at how good he was. And his enthusiasm was something to behold for sure. I feel like he is the kind of guy that would be good at anything he set his mind to. Glass blowing, needle point, sculpting bonsai trees...he'd be awesome at them all.
Packers let Charlie Peprah go. I'm not sure why. I thought he played pretty well the past couple years, but maybe we just have too many guys at the safety position? Or maybe it's because Charles Woodson seems to have taken up residency in the safety spot so far in training camp? I like Woodson at safety, and am interested to see how it goes.
Nick Collins, who sustained a neck injury last year and had to be carted off the field is OK, and fully mobile, but his NFL career is over. So he won't be back. He was an amazing player, and while I am sad that he will no longer be on the field, I totally think he made the right call (unlike Payton Manning and his decision to keep playing after having his neck vertebra fused together).
Rodgers seemed to have a busy summer after an amazing year last year! He won league MVP because of his ridiculously unbelievable QB rating (and glorious lack of interceptions!) AND he was crowned #1 onNFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2011. Way to go AR! Of course all us Packers fans already knew how awesome he was;) Over the summer I saw him at the ESPYS looking sharp. (No I wasn't there, I mean on TV), and he was at some golf thing in Tahoe with Tony Romo a week or so ago. That's cool. I think it's good to get a break from the game, especially for QB's. He seems pretty confident in his interviews, also good, but I hope the success from last year doesn't go to his head. Not that I think it will, I'm just saying that it would be unfortunate if that were to be the case. He seems like such a level headed, "regular" guy, and I like that in a quarterback...in anyone really.
Well, that's it for now. We still have a ways to go before the first real game of the season, but we are on our way! I can almost hear the soft chant of "Go Pack go!" on the wind...
Happy football season everybody!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have decided to be more knowledgeable about football, the teams, the people, this year by reading what you say about it (I might also watch a game...). I want to share your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! It's a wonderful sport, and I hope you grow to love it as much as I do....You are a Packers Fan though right?

    ReplyDelete