Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, October 11, 2010

Booooooo Shame on You 49ers Fan

I watched the 49ers game last night (after skipping the afternoon games because I was so discouraged by the Packers loss) and it was a good one. I couldn't decide if I wanted the Eagles to win because I like Kolb better than Michael Vick, and wanted him to have a victory, or the 49ers because they were 0-4.
I cheered for whoever was the underdog the whole game until the 4th quarter when Alex Smith, the quarterback for San Francisco fumbled the ball which led to an Eagles defensive touchdown, and the fans at Candlestick Park (his home crowd) started booing him. The next time he went out on the field the audience was chanting "We want Carr" who is the backup QB. I was disgusted. It was awful, and I felt really bad for Smith. I mean how humiliating must it be to be booed by your own fans on national television and on Sunday night football to boot? I pretty much lost all respect for 49ers fans, if they even reserve the right to call themselves such now.
San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Alex
I get being annoyed with your team not playing well (I was there yesterday morning) but I would never boo my quarterback at a home game because he messed up. It's disrespectful, and frankly unforgivably rude. I doubt anyone of those loudmouth fans would think it was acceptable to have their peers criticize them in a public setting when they made a mistake, yet they had no problem doing just that for a man that was representing their team to the best of his ability. He obviously wasn't trying to screw up after all.
Maybe he shouldn't be the 49ers quarterback. Maybe he makes too many mistakes. But that is no reason to publicly berate him. Makes you wonder doesn't it? If the Niners fans can turn their backs that quickly on their own team, I wonder how they treat their friends?
I give Alex Smith a lot of credit for hanging in there staging a great comeback and scoring a touchdown (to which his fickle fans cheered) right after that awful episode. I give him credit for even wanting to go back out an play. For what he lacks in skill he certainly makes up for in character. I am not sure that point wasn't lost on everyone at Candlestick Park. It's their loss. I probably would have ran, crying to the locker room, and moved overseas the next day if I'd have found myself in that position. So I have a lot of respect for what he did. Who he is as person is much more important than whether or not he is a football player. And viewed that way, yesterday was a victory for Alex Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment