Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Alps Railway Tunnel


I was perusing an issue of National Geographic at the library the other day when I stumbled upon this photo (or one really close to this, I found this one on the internet). I was quite amazed. It looked like something out of the latest Transformers movie. I've never seen such a large drill! And to think it's been tunneling for years, under the Alps, an astonishing 2 km below the surface is even more impressive. I won't go into all the details since the Nat Geo folks are much better writers than I am, but here is the article if you'd like to know more.
It definitely puts a new spin on the Dr. Seuss book "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh good, now I have a new nightmare - getting a sleeve caught in a massive drill as it inches forward 2 km underground... Wheeeee...

    ReplyDelete