Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cathedral de Metz (Saint Etienne de Metz) Landscape

I am winding up on my posts from my trip to France. I only have a couple left. I've decided to do my photo's from the Cathedral in Metz in two posts, since some of my photos are landscape, and some are portrait. Saint Etienne (Saint Stephen) holds the world record for the largest expanse of stained glass windows, with approximately 70,000 sq. ft. of them. It is also the third highest cathedral in France, and let me tell you something, it absolutely looks like it. I've seen higher buildings of course, but the way it towers over every other building in the Centre Ville (it's at least twice as high) makes it seem like it could possibly reach all the way to heaven. The other thing to consider when admiring it's height is that it was built in the 1500's, during a time when flying butresses were all the rage because architects didn't know any other way to support high walls without having them topple over. It's really a remarkable feat. And beautiful too.
I'm also including a few photo's from the crypt beneath the church. Thankfully there aren't any bodies down there anymore!  I guess my only "complaint" if I could even have one, is that all of those beautiful stained glass windows are so high up, it's hard to really appreciate their design and craftsmanship from the ground. Anyway, hope you enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment