Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ladies, What Do You Think?

I was cruising the internet yesterday looking for some cool tights and I was disappointed by the selection. It seems that most websites/stores only carry designs of flowers (roses especially), lip prints, hearts, butterflies etc, that I find obnoxious. I usually go for the patterns since they are the least annoying, but even those are somewhat overused and boring.
That set me thinking of a business idea. I thought to myself wouldn't it be cool if there was a brand of hosiery that was dedicated to both style and substance? You know, not only something pretty to look at, but also reflecting on who we are as women and what our interests are. I'm not trying to sound all feminist or anything, and I don't have anything against butterflies or lipstick, but at the same time I wouldn't say they represent me as a person. And I think a lot of us (well, that wear tights anyway:) would much rather wear something that was a little more..."us" if we had the option. Just as clothing style speaks to who you are as an individual, the idea would be so can the prints you choose to wear! If you have no idea what I am getting at check out the quick proto-types I put together below and the descriptions. Afterward I'd love to know what you think. (I guess boys can weigh in too if you want:) ANd be honest. Even if you think it's hokey (hooky?hoky?).


1.) This design is for a lawyer. The text is the actual Lawyer code of ethics for the state of New York.

Lawyer
Close up of print

2.) This design is for a doctor or any medical reasearch/field. The graphic is of a cell, a brain cell or neuron to be precise.

Doctor/Medical

Close up of print

3.) This design is for a naturalist/botanist. The leaf patters are ones that everyone should know. They are the triple threat of Poison Oak, Poison Ivy, and Poison Sumac

Science/ Botany/Nature

Close up of print



3 comments:

  1. The idea is appealing, however the actual effect would be that people would be looking a lot more closely at my legs if I had neurons on them (thinking they are weird snowflakes)and my bigger aim is to have my legs not crying out for attention, if you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these and think it's a great idea.
    What I'd really like is some way to supply the pattern myself and get them exactly like I wanted them. Quotes from favorite books, my own pictures and so on, like you can get on t-shirts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see both your points. I guess my market would probably be people that already wear tights with prints, so in terms of drawing attention they should be about the same.
    As for having personalized tights...well, it's a great idea! That's actually what I was looking for initially. I especially love the idea of using quotes from favorite books.
    That would be a whole different ball game though, because instead of contracting out and having a hosiery mill do it, I'd have to buy all the equipment myself, and set up a shop, and buy all the dyes etc, and I'm more of a designer. Thanks for the input ladies!

    ReplyDelete