Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Cocotte

My cocotte. A gift from my Aunt in France.

While visiting my Aunt in France this past winter I was treated to delicious home cooked meals every day! I picked up a few recipes and have been experimenting with them since I've returned home. But crucial to this process was the purchase (a gift from my Aunt!) of a cocotte. A cocotte is a cast iron pot and lid that is wonderful for cooking so many things. My first taste of rabbit was cooked in one! I think it's the predecessor of the crock pot.
Anyway, I've never bought one because the are so expensive (around $250-$300), but my Aunt gave me money to get one for myself when I got home!  My mom found the perfect one when she was in Michigan, and brought it back for me and I love it. Not only is it great for cooking, but it also looks beautiful sitting on my stove top, and it reminds me of my Aunt if France every time I see it!
My recipes aren't coming out as well as hers did, but I'm still getting the hang of it. I guess there is no hurry since this pretty pot should last me the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment