Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Meet My DNA



I know I've already written several posts today, but you are going to have to humor me with one more. I'd post it tomorrow, but it's so exciting I just can't wait.
It's weird how much of ourselves we've never seen. I'm not talking about that freckle on you left shoulder blade, I'm talking about your brain or heart for example, or a white blood cell or your DNA. In the case of the latter, sure we've heard about it, and we know basically what it is, and we know that we have millions of copies in our bodies, but have you ever actually seen DNA, in "the flesh" so to speak?
Well, I have! And not just any old DNA either, I've actually seen my DNA! I extracted it just a half hour ago, and right in my own kitchen as a matter of fact! It only took the simplest tools and method, and surprisingly it is the same procedure (more or less) that professionals use. Isn't that something?
With nothing more than some salt water, soap, a little alcohol and a few drops of spit, I was able to collect, unwind and view my very own DNA! *sigh* Ain't science grand?
Here are a few pictures of one of the better "strands" that I saw. They are really small, and so quite difficult to photograph. I had to use a combination of hand lens at 10x magnification, and my awesome camera, and even so it is still a little tough to make out. (It wasn't as difficult in real life.) But basically my DNA is the thing that looks like a little piece of string suspended in the liquid inside the circle of the lens. I also have a picture of the entire jar over a light, where you can see much more DNA, but it didn't unwind as well, so it looks like little white specks.  Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. What...who...HOW???? How did you do this sister...I must know. I must I must! That is SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you a DNA extracting kit with my next package. You will have to get your own hand lens though;)

    ReplyDelete