Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tree Envy


I am sure everyone has them. You know, those restless days at work when you feel trapped and have to battle against the overwhelming urge to escape. Where you want to scream "Freedom!!!" like Mel Gibson did in Braveheart and race out the door into the sunshine....and back into life. You know what I'm talking about right?
Well, I am having one of those days today, and for no particular reason that I can think of either. It's just another regular day. Almost every time I feel this way I find myself gazing out my office window at the tree across the street. It's not the prettiest tree. It is wedged behind a restaurant and some garbage cans, and has been hit by delivery trucks at least three times that I've seen. But for some reason on days when I'm feeling restless and trapped indoors, I find myself watching it's leaves shimmer in the sun, and can't help but feel a certain amount of envy.
Like I said, I don't think this is a particularly fortunate tree, but at the same time it will never have a day "at the office" in all it's life. When it's sunny and cheerful outside, it gets to be a part of it. When it's crisp and windy out, it's branches get to dance in the breeze. When it's stormy and gray, it gets to soak it all in. Sometimes (but not always) I wish I could really enjoy every day like that, and be a part of the weather the way plants are.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying I'd prefer to be a tree over human being. I'm just saying that sometimes, on days like today, I feel a little anthropomorphic jealousy towards them that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment